You can use essential oils for a variety of issues and one of my favorite ways is for my skincare.
It only takes a quick search on Pinterest to find a ton of DIY skincare recipes mixing essential oils for your skin.
By making your own you can save money but most importantly you can drastically reduce your exposure to toxins.
8 Skin Issues Essential Oils Can Help With
1. Shrink Your Pores
If you have large pores or clogged pores, you’ll want to do something to shrink them and avoid clogging them.
You can deal with both problems with tea tree oil.
After diluting you’ll want to massage it into your face for about five minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
2. Tighten Your Skin
You have many choices of oils to try for tightening your skin.
Everyone gets loose skin; it’s just a normal part of aging but you can slow it down with frankincense and/or lavender essential oil.
3. Slow Down Aging
You can also help slow aging and keep your skin healthy and brighter with the right essential oils.
You might want to try something new you’ve never tried before like carrot seed oil, which is great for reversing skin damage caused by the sun.
4. Balance Oily Skin
If you have oily skin, you probably also have blemishes.
First, understand that having oily skin is not really a bad thing because our skin will age more slowly. The trick is to keep your pores clean.
Try using tea tree oil, ylang-ylang, and if you have sensitive skin, chamomile essential oil.
5. Soothe Dry Skin
Dry skin can be prone to being itchy and rashy. If you want to soothe dry skin, essential oils are the answer.
Try blends with frankincense, sandalwood, sage, and rose in jojoba oil.
6. Fight Acne
Anything that has a smell like mint, peppermint, eucalyptus, and so forth is going to be good for fighting acne, as are citrus oils.
7. Reduce Scarring
If your skin scars easily or has old scars from acne, you may want to try carrot seed oil, citrus oils, and add vitamin E oil to whatever you use.
8. Improve Eczema
If you have this condition, you know that it’s something you are always fighting, and you can’t always identify what happened to cause a flare.
Depending on the cause of your problem, you may want to try tea tree, lavender, frankincense, and chamomile essential oils.
Related: Over 40? You’ll want this collagen elixir.
When you start using essential oils for your skincare issues, start slow.
Try working on one condition at a time until you get it straightened out and then try to improve another issue.
That way you will avoid additional problems by using too much essential oil directly on your skin, or not realizing which essential oil worked best for you.
Please note: All information on Alesstoxiclife.com is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition, or are taking any medication, please consult your doctor.
DIY Beauty and Skincare Recipes Using Essential Oils
Some of the recipes I’ve included here I use regularly and others I’ve just tested.
You will have to experiment to see what works for you.
Typically I use the oils I have on hand but for specific skin issues like warts, scaring, and skin tags I’ve bought blends from Healing Natural Oils.
*Get $5 off your first Healing Natural Oils when you sign up for their newsletter
If you are just getting into using oils and enjoy affordable subscription boxes you might like the Simply Earth Essential Oil Subscription Box (read my review here).
Varicose Veins Home Remedy Sugar Scrub
Sugar scrubs help remove dead skin to reveal beautiful skin underneath. Along with beautiful skin, this scrubbing action helps stimulate blood flow to the area. This Veins Sugar Scrub Recipe is a two-sided attack on varicose veins.
- 1 cup sugar
- TBSP fractionated coconut oil
- 9 drops veins essential oil blend (get it from Simply Earth)
- jar with lid
Relieve Puffy Eyes
If your eyes are puffy, itchy, or red due to allergies, try Clary Sage oil to relieve them the next time.
It’s been used to heal the eyes and promote clear vision since Medieval times.
- Add 2 drops of Clary Sage to a bowl of warm water
- Swish to combine
- Dip a clean washcloth in and gently place it over the eyes
You only need a small amount of Clary Sage for this to work.
Tip: Some people are sensitive so test it first. If you experience unpleasant tingling, you can remove the remaining Clary sage oil by washing your face in coconut oil.
Pimple And Acne Relief Recipes
The next time you have a pimple try one of these simple DIY combinations.
Essential Oil Leave-On Treatment
- 4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 2 TBSP Jojoba Oil
Add the oils together in a small glass jar with a lid or roller bottle, apply a few drops to your skin before bed, and leave on overnight.
Rosehip Oil Acne Treatment Recipe
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Rosehip Oil
- drops Lemon Essential Oil
- Add all ingredients into a small jar with a lid
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Apply to face.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Remove using warm water and a washcloth.
- Gently pat face dry.
- Store remaining ingredients in a glass jar with a lid in the refrigerator.
Acne Fighter Essential Oil Roll-On
This easy roll-on combines Oregano, a very powerful essential oil, and Tea Tree to help banish the zits before they make themselves at home.
Apply directly to the blemishes up to two times a day for healthy, clearer skin.
- 10 ml roll-on bottle
- Grapeseed Carrier Oil
- 1 drop Oregano Essential Oil
- 2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Fill the roll-on bottle with Grapeseed Carrier Oil
- Add the essential oils
- Apply directly to blemishes 1-2 a day for clear, healthy skin.
Lemon Honey Passion Fruit Anti-Acne Face Mask Recipe
Lemon is one of the most prized ingredients for cleansing the skin. With maracuja or passion fruit carrier oil added for its intense moisturizing and anti-oxidant properties, and raw honey to purify and hydrate, this natural and homemade acne treatment is extremely effective and smells delightful.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Passion Fruit Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Apply to freshly washed face, avoiding eyes.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes, then gently rinse away using warm water and a washcloth.
DIY Detoxifying Mud Mask Recipes
Bentonite and French Green Clay provide healing properties to your skin.
The great thing is you don’t need an exact recipe to make one of these at home and reap the benefits.
Just like any skincare mask you’d buy at the store or online, apply the mask to your entire face avoiding the eye area and mouth.
Leave on until the mask starts to dry but no more than 10 minutes.
Tip: If your skin begins to burn or feel uncomfortable, you can always rinse the mask off early and apply a moisturizer.
Basic DIY Bentonite Mask
- 2 tablespoons Clay (get it here
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
Mix into a paste and apply it to your face.
DIY Green Clay Mask
- 2 tablespoons of French Green Clay (get it here
- 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera
- 2 drops of Chamomile Essential Oil
- 2 drops Orange Essential Oil
Mix into a paste and apply it to your face.
Blackhead Banishing Powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Kaolin Clay
- 2 tablespoon Calcium Carbonate
- 1 tablespoon Zinc Oxide
- 30 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
Relieve Aches and Pains With Essential Oils
Sea Salt and essential oils are great for relieving aches as well as detoxifying your body.
Simply add a cup of Dead Sea Bath Salt and 5 drops of lavender oil to your warm bath water and relax for about a half-hour.
DIY Essential Oil Recipes For Feet Care
Everyone knows the feeling of tired feet and equally the feeling of how great it is when you finally get to sit down and rest.
These recipes will help you soothe tired feet and are easy to make.
If you don’t have all of the oils in the recipe just use what you have and treat yourself and your feet to some special treatment tonight.
Jojoba Oil Foot Soak Recipe
This foot soak recipe uses Epsom salts to soothe tired feet while promoting deep relaxation for the rest of the body by way of the soles of the feet.
Geranium oil balances and lavender oil imparts calm.
You’ll feel deeply relaxed after just 10 minutes of this soothing, make-at-home foot soak.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup Epsom Salt
- 1 teaspoon Jojoba Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Rose Geranium Oil
- Combine all ingredients.
- Pour about 1/4 into a small tub filled with warm water.
- Soak feet for about 15 minutes.
Pomegranate Seed Oil Foot Scrub Recipe
This foot scrub cleanses, softens, and promotes healing of the feet while delivering myriad health benefits by way of the soles of the feet.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon Pomegranate Seed Oil
- 3 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil, or a combo of 2 drops Orange Essential Oil and 1 drop Nutmeg Essential Oil
- Mix thoroughly and store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- To use, start with clean feet and gently massage in this luxurious, sweet-smelling foot salve.
- Give extra attention to problem areas. The longer you allow this delicious recipe to soak in, the softer and smoother your feet will be… and the better you’ll feel.
Essential Oil Cuticle Serum Recipe
This serum can be used to strengthen your nails and soften your cuticles. Go here for more DIY cuticle and nail serums
Put the ingredients in a roller bottle (get empty ones here) and shake before using.
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Jojoba Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 5 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
DIY Facial Cleanser Recipes
You can clean your face with many different oils and natural ingredients. Play around with some of these and let me know which you like.
Coconut Oil Cleanser Recipes
Coconut Oil has a ton of uses. It’s great for your skin because it is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
You can use it to clean your face, soothe your skin, or as a moisturizer.
I use it every night to remove my mascara and to clean my face.
You can use it alone or mix it up with other ingredients for added benefits.
Just mix the following ingredients into a soothing facial cleansing paste and massage into your face then wipe off with a washcloth and warm water.
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 drop Geranium Essential Oil
- 1 cup Oatmeal (blended into flour in your blender)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 20 drops Lavender Essential Oil
Cucumber Cleanser Recipe
Make a cucumber cleanser by blending up a few slices of cucumber with a cup of plain yogurt and a bit of fresh mint.
If your skin tends toward dry, add a half teaspoon or so jojoba oil can be added.
For extra healing and pleasant aroma, add a drop of Rosemary Essential oil.
Leftover cleanser can be stored in a dark-colored glass container in the fridge.
Use within 7 days.
Honey and Turmeric Cleanser Recipe
I’ve heard lots of great things about using honey and turmeric to cleanse your face.
The recipe looks super simple.
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric (get it here
- 1/2 Plain Yogurt
- 1 drop Neroli Essential Oil
- Apply to the face
- Massage in and avoid eyes.
- Let absorb for a few minutes.
- Rinse using a clean washcloth.
Banana Lemon Cleanser Recipe
Banana works great for natural skincare and mixed with almond oil this recipe will be super moisturizing.
- 1 Ripe Mashed Banana
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Oil
- 2 drops Carrot Essential Oil
- 2 drops Neroli Essential Oil
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Massage onto your cheeks, chin, nose, and forehead, avoiding eyes.
- Let the cleanser soak in for several minutes.
- Remove using warm water and a clean washcloth.
- Store unused portions in the refrigerator.
Carrot Seed Carrier Oil and Dead Sea Salt Scrub Recipe
Dead Sea Salts are rich in minerals, making them extremely nourishing to the body, both inside and out.
They’re a great choice for a homemade facial scrub that exfoliates, tones and softens skin.
To lessen the harshness of the salt, combine with essential fatty acid-rich carrot seed carrier oil which is also rich in antioxidants and a known skin protectant and healing agent.
- 1 tablespoon Carrot Seed Oil
- 2 drops Clary Sage Essential Oil
- 1/2 cup coarse Dead Sea Salt
- Mix all ingredients.
- Scoop out with fingers and pit small amount on face
- Gently scrub, avoiding eyes and mouth.
Remember: If you subscribe to a Simply Earth Subscription Box you will get a box full of empty bottles, carrier oils, and extras to make some awesome essential oils recipes like this one. Read my review here
Best Oils For Your Skin Type
DIY Face and Body Moisturizers
Natural moisturizers for your face and body are easy to whip up or you can use the oils individually.
Some healthy plant oils to try are Coconut Oil, Rose Hip Oil, Passion Fruit Oil, Jojoba Oil, Almond Oil, or Olive Oil.
Passion Fruit Skin Lotion Recipe
This homemade skin lotion is ultra-rich and moisturizing and does not require refrigeration.
- 1/2 cup Sweet Almond Oil
- 1/4 cup Beeswax
- 1/4 cup Passion Flower Oil
2 tablespoons Cocoa Butter
- 5 drops Orange Essential Oil or Vanilla Essential Oil or a combo of both
- Add all ingredients to a double boiler
- Stir until the beeswax melts down and everything combines nicely.
- Remove from heat and pour into a glass jar with a lid.
- Use within 6 months.
Shea Butter Body Butter Recipe
This smells so good and will leave your skin smooth and radiant.
This homemade body butter made from natural shea butter, passionflower carrier oil, and vanilla essential oil is simple and toxic-free.
Not only are passionflower and vanilla wonderfully healing thanks to their antioxidant properties, but they also relax the mind and soothe the spirit.
This after-bath body butter is perfect for an evening wind-down before bed.
- Mix all ingredients together in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- After a nice, relaxing bath, slather yourself in this rich, healing body butter that’s so healthy and smells so good!
Stretch Mark Cream
This cream can be used for stretch marks from exercise, losing weight, or after pregnancy.
- Mix all ingredients and store in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Rub on stretch marks liberally morning and night.
DIY Kid Salve and Lip Balm
I love learning all sorts of new things to do with essential oils. I bought a salve like this from someone at a Farmer’s Market but now just make it myself with this recipe.
Easy Essential Oil Sugar Scrub
Sugar scrubs are easy to make and fun to give as gifts.
Find more ideas for essential oil uses in your beauty routine read my post here.
Essential Oil Detox Bath
Use these 3 simple ingredients for a Pain and Stress Detox Bath.
Keep It Simple
Using natural and organic ingredients simplifies things.
You don’t have to spend a ton of money on skincare products to keep your skin moist and looking young.
I will be turning 54 this year and for over 10 years I’ve used a variety of DIY skincare recipes and less toxic skin products so at this point I have very few wrinkles. Simple eating, simple skincare, and reducing toxins go a long way in helping you age healthy and gracefully.