Authors are tired of getting the same questions at every interview. They ’ ve answered them a hundred times and will not be excited to answer them even again. I can tell you precisely the questions writers get time and time again at every book reading and interview :
- Where do you get your ideas ?
- What is your writing process like ?
- What advice do you have for writers ?
And if you look for other lists of interview questions for authors, they are signally sterile. Everyone basically lists the like 20 questions that writers constantly receive .
My list below of interview questions are antic, but if those 50 aren ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate adequate, I would suggest you go here to see examples of fantastic interviews, and possibly pick up a few more full questions :
- Paris Review Interviews
- These are the best interviews out there of writers, and there are thousands of them ( including four books ) .
I ’ five hundred besides recommend that people curious about the write process should read my informative web log post, “ 12 Steps to Write a Bestselling Novel. ”
It will actually illuminate the writing march .
now, of course, the best question for a writer is one based on their book. Every generator is excited to talk about their most recent book, or the big one they published a few years back. If you have a good question about a character or a plot point or the process of creating that book, they will be overjoyed to hear it .
But if you haven ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate read their script yet, this is the adjacent good thing : I ’ ve compiled a tilt of good questions for authors that are surprise and unique. I guarantee that these questions will surprise them for a second base, and make them think about their answer .
50 Good Questions to Ask an Author
- What literary pilgrimages have you gone on ?
- What is the first ledger that made you cry ?
- What is the most unethical practice in the publication industry ?
- Does writing energize or exhaust you ?
- What are park traps for aspiring writers ?
- Does a big ego help or hurt writers ?
- What is your writing Kryptonite ?
- Have you always gotten reader ’ s stuff ?
- Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym ?
- Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want ?
- Do you think person could be a writer if they don ’ thyroxine feel emotions strongly ?
- What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer ?
- Do you want each script to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of sour with connections between each book ?
- If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be ?
- How did publishing your inaugural book change your serve of write ?
- What was the best money you always spent as a writer ?
- What authors did you dislike at first but grew into ?
- What did you do with your first advance ?
- What was an early experience where you learned that language had power ?
- What are the most crucial magazines for writers to subscribe to ?
- What ’ s your darling under-appreciated novel ?
- How do you balance making demands on the reader with taking caution of the lector ?
- As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal ?
- What do you owe the real people upon whom you base your characters ?
- How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have ?
- What does literary achiever look like to you ?
- What ’ s the best way to market your books ?
- What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book ?
- Do you view writing as a kind of religious practice ?
- What ’ s the most unmanageable matter about writing characters from the diametric sex ?
- How retentive were you a part-time writer before you became a full-time one ?
- How many hours a day do you write ?
- What menstruation of your life do you find you write about most frequently ? ( child, adolescent, young adult )
- What did you edit out of this record ? ”
- Have you read anything that made you think differently about fiction ?
- What are the ethics of writing about historic figures ?
- How do you select the names of your characters ?
- If you didn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate write, what would you do for work ?
- Do you read your book reviews ? How do you deal with bad or good ones ?
- Do you hide any secrets in your books that lone a few people will find ?
- What was your hardest scene to write ?
- Do you Google yourself ?
- What one thing would you give up to become a better writer ?
- What are your favorite literary journals ?
- What is your darling childhood book ?
- What is the most unmanageable part of your artistic summons ?
- Does your family support your career as a writer ?
- If you had to do something differently as a child or adolescent to become a better writer as an pornographic, what would you do ?
- How long on average does it take you to write a bible ?
- Do you believe in writer ’ mho stuff ? ( DO NOT ask whether they ’ ve had writer ’ second blocking ).
now, if you ’ re a writer, I would suggest besides reading my post, “ 12 Steps to Write a Bestselling Novel. ”
It is the best advice you ’ ll ever receive about fresh publish .
felicitous publish !