According to the NGC Price Guide, an “ average ” Eisenhower dollar dating back to 1974 in go around circumstance can be deserving somewhere between $ 1.05 and $ 1.50. however, on the open market and on-line auction, a 1974 silver dollar in uncirculated condition and pristine condition can be worth a belittled fortune .
1974 Eisenhower Silver Dollar History
The Eisenhower dollar was a one-dollar coin issued by the United States Mint, issued from 1971 to 1978. This particular design was the first gear of the dollar denominations released by the US Mint since the Peace dollar earned run average, which ended in 1935.
Interesting facts from the history of Eisenhower silver dollars :
- Most of the Eisenhower dollars were made of a copper-nickel combination; nevertheless, the collectible specimens were 40% silver composition.
- From 1971 until 1974, the U.S. Mint struck special edition silver Eisenhower coins, which were sold in outstanding brown presentation boxes. Each of these packages was originally valued at $10.
Both sides of the 1974 flatware dollar coin were designed by Frank Gasparro .
besides, these coins were the alone dollar coins whose circulation strikes had no silver in their writing .
On the obverse, or the head side, the mint depicts the portrait of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, one of America ’ s most outstanding military commanders and United States ’ thirty-fourth President .
The turn back, besides known as the buttocks side, presents a reshape Apollo 11 insignia, the symbol for the 1969 NASA operation. This was a historical moment for world when the first men landed on the moon. The emblem for the Apollo 11 moon-landing mission was sketched by Michael Collins, one of the astronauts who took part in this memorable travel .
look at this excellent display television of a 1974 silver medal dollar containing 40 % silver .
1974 Silver Dollar Value
batch marks indicate the mint that has struck those specific coins. Regarding 1974 argent dollars, these coins were minted in 3 different areas of the U.S.A .
1974 Dollar With No Mintmark
These 1974 Eisenhower dollars with no mintmarks were struck in the Philadelphia Mint. Their coinage ( number of coins minted ) reached an impressive 27,3 million pieces. Expect these coins to be quite common and easy to find on the commercialize .
regardless of their condition, the no-mint grade of 1974 dollars is worth more than their face value. These coins are highly collectible, and it ’ s no wonder, considering their historical respect .
Their approximate value in well-circulated grades is $ 1.10 to $ 1.25. In uncirculated stipulate ( MS-63 ), the no mint scratch 1974 dollar is worth $ 6.65 according to the USA Coin Book. last but not least, this type of 1974 silver dollar in MS-67 can value a small luck, considering the auction phonograph record of $ 6,600 paid for this specimen in 2021 .
1974-D Dollar Coin Value
You can easily recognize these specimens by the “ D ” mintmark, which comes from the Denver Mint. 45,5 million pieces of the D Eisenhower dollar were struck during 1974 .
In circulate condition, the 1974-D Eisenhower dollar coins value around $ 1.25 according to NCG Coin Guide. On the other hand, uncirculated specimens would typically fetch less than $ 10 .
In MS-65 stipulate, the 1974-D one-dollar mint is truly valued, and its price can go up to $ 14,100 – the absolute commemorate in an on-line auction .
1974-S Silver Dollar Value
The 1974-S silver dollars were struck by the San Francisco Mint, and the total mintage of these coins was about 2 million pieces. This is a relatively small number compared to the previous categories .
however, these pieces are relatively common except for those in high batch state grades. normally, the 1974-S Eisenhower silver dollar will be worth around $ 10 in circulate condition .
however, you should know that the auction record for the 1974-S ash grey dollar in MS-68 was registered in 2021, when this type of mint sold for more than $ 13,000 .
1974-S Silver Proof Dollar Coin
besides popularly known as the brown university Ike among passionate collectors, the 1974-S 40 % silver proof dollars were besides struck by the San Francisco Mint .
These proof flatware coins saw a mintage of 1,3 million pieces. Their median price is around $ 10, but this value can increase based on the condition .
The most valuable 1974-S validation silver dollar was Proof-70 graded and was sold in 2007 for $ 4,600 .
1974 Silver Dollar Grading System
Determining the value of an old mint has a set to do with its mark and discipline. Check these grades before purchasing or selling your 1974 silver dollars :
Read more : Top 11 how to use csgobig free coin code in 2022
- Very Fine (VF-20) – the hair over the eye details on the portrait of Eisenhower are quite worn, while the other strands over the ear are still well-defined.
- About Uncirculated (AU-50) – the coins might present some slight traces of wear; nevertheless, most of the original luster is still visible, although a little damaged by some contact marks.
- Uncirculated (MS-60) – the coins have no traces of wear; the full mint luster is visible, but you can expect to notice some surface marks, even tiny traces of wear.
- MS-63 Uncirculated – contact marks and blemishes might appear on focal prominent areas. Luster is not consistent.
- MS-64 Uncirculated – These coins are highly attractive and have a visible luster.
- MS-65 – This is one of the more common higher grades; coins have only light scattered contact marks. Expect to have an eye-appealing piece of the collection.
- MS-67 and beyond – coins in mint condition are graded MS-67 and above, these are rare and will be the most valuable (other than rare error coins in mint condition)
1974 Silver Dollar Value Chart
|MS 63||MS-64||MS 65||PR
|1974 Eisenhower Dollar No Mint Mark||$1.05||$1.10||$2||$15||$25||$35||–|
|1974-D Eisenhower Dollar||$1.05||$1.10||$2||$12.50||$17.50||$30||–|
|1974 S Silver Dollar||$6.75||$7.25||$10||$17.50||$20||$25||–|
Keep in take care that these are lone average prices which are meant as a guide. They might differ from one reservoir to another, american samoa well as according to market fluctuations. Values stated are adjust at the time of writing according to USA Coin Book. Thorough market research is required for up-to-date values .
Precious 1974 Silver Dollar Errors
The 1974 silver dollar errors might add even more value to the coin. These are the most patronize flaws that appear on 1974 silver dollars :
- The Double Die Coin Error is quite scarce. Depending on how prominent the doubling is, these coins might value a small fortune, especially if they are silver. Look closely for the doubling in the date, design details, or lettering. This is an expensive example found on eBay.
- The 1974 Off-Center Dollar Coin Error – if you stumble upon this type of error, you are lucky, especially if it is a 1974-S silver dollar.
- 1974 Broadstrike Dollar Coin Error applies to Ike dollars and refers to edge errors. These coins might not have parallel lines; you can notice this error by looking at the edges. These coins are wider than normal and show no edge reeding.
Find more about the 1974 silver dollar mistake from this compelling video recording which will besides provide an estimate of the value you can expect .
Q: Where is the mint mark on the 1974 silver dollars?
A: The mint score is located on the coin ’ mho obverse, right under President Eisenhower ’ s portrait and above the 1974 date .
Q: Which Eisenhower dollars have silver content?
A: The Eisenhower dollars were beginning conceived in 1969 by the US Mint. however, the production started in 1971. lone the coins issued in Proof and BU versions from 1971 to 1976 were 40 % silver .
Q: How to distinguish silver coins from clad coins?
A: The best method acting to determine whether the coins are argent or not is by looking at the edges. The mint is genuine silver if you see a firm silver band. On the other pass, a copper line indicates the coin is clothe .
Sharing is caring !